Friday 18 June 2010

More Work, And Yes I Do Love It

I mentioned a few posts ago about the tests that are sent to us each month to give us "positives". Anyone fancy some salmonella? The reason for the pretty pattern is to spread out a drip of the mix containing the bacteria so that it goes from really concentrated colonies to individual dots. Those dots are a single colony of bacteria, and we count it as a CFU - colony forming unit.
Pretty looking agar isn't it :) It's called Rambach agar. You can see below where the salmonella has leeched nutrients from the pink agar to make it bleached looking (I turned the plate over)




Aww looky! When we get colonies of strange looking bacteria which shouldn't be wherever they are growing we perform an API test. We put some of the colonies into sterile de-ionised water and put a drip of the mixed water into each of these chambers and leave it for 24 hours. Depending on the colour the chamber goes we check it against a control and tada - name of naughty bacteria!




Here is a closer look at the chamber



This is how we fill them :)


Non work update - still LOVING being married. It's ace, and if he does something I don't like then I tell him he's the worst husband I've ever had ;)
Have you tried this stuff? I was going to take a full bottle picture but it was just too nice, plus habibi was eyeing it up so I had to gulp it all up on nom nom x


No comments:

Post a Comment